The Vensim MDL documentation tool (ver 4.12, Feb 14, 2014) is a tool for Microsoft Windows .NET.
The SDM-Doc tool takes a Vensim model (an MDL file and its associated optional VPM file) and generates HTML output and provides customizable diagnostics. For a description of the tool and its purpose, see:
- Martinez-Moyano, I. J. (2012), Documentation for model transparency. System Dynamics Review, 28: 199–208.
SDM-Doc is provided under a BSD open source license.
The provided compiled version of SDM-Doc runs under MS Windows, and requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on your computer. Before you can use SDM-Doc, you need to install the free Microsoft .NET 4.0 Framework Standalone version on your machine. If it is not already installed on your computer, search and install it from the web. You may need administrator privileges on your computer in order to install the .NET Framework. If so, contact your network administrator. Installing the .NET Framework only needs to be done once on each computer.
SDM-Doc also requires the open source Ionic zip dll library, which can be downloaded from the link shown below. Downloading this library only needs to be done once on each computer.
- Download the latest SDM-Doc application here.
- Download the additional open source Ionic zip dll library, which is required by SDM-Doc. Place it in the same location as your SDM-Doc application file (SDM-Doc.exe).
- Optionally download the latest SDM-Doc source code here.
Samples of output generated by the SDM-Doc tool:
- Handbook of Service Science Model by Oliva and Sterman (2010)
To provide feedback:
For more information:
Ignacio J. Martinez-Moyano, Ph.D.
Argonne National Laboratory