For a description of the tool and its purpose, see:
- Martinez-Moyano, I. J. (2012), Documentation for model transparency. System Dynamics Review, 28: 199–208.
SDM-Doc is provided under a BSD open source license.
Two versions of the SDM-Doc tool are available:
- The Java version (ver 1.0.2, Feb 13, 2015).
- The .NET version (ver 5.0, Jul 23, 2014)
The Java version provides a superset of the .NET capabilities (expect for the display of stock and flow diagrams). Among the additional capabilities are:
- Feedback Loop Information
- Feedback Loop and Link Polarity Information
- Results stored in single html file
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portugese, Japanese
SDM-Doc/Java (ver 1.0.2, Feb 13, 2015) was developed to provide the documentation capabilities of SDM-Doc/.NET but without the requirements of having Vensim installed on the computer and running .NET on a Microsoft Windows PC. The tool reads the MDL file and parses the equations and graphic data to gather all data required for dcoumentation.
The software is distributed as a Zip file. Simply download the Zip file appropriate for you operating system and extract the files onto your computer. Executable scripts are provided for running the tool.
Download the Windows-specific Zip file here.
Download the Unix-specific Zip file here. Note that the Unix-specific Zip does not include jre.
Download the latest SDM-Doc/Java User Guide here.
Sample output generated by the SDM-Doc tool:
- Handbook of Service Science Model by Oliva and Sterman (2010)
To provide feedback:
For more information:
Ignacio J. Martinez-Moyano, Ph.D.
Argonne National Laboratory